SARATOGA SPRINGS, NY
UNIVERSAL PRESERVATION HALL
Elbridge Boyden designed the Hall in 1871 for the Methodist church to host their annual regional meeting. In 1976 the Methodists sold the building to the Universal Baptist Church, who occupied it until the building’s deteriorating state made it unsafe. In 1999 citizens of Saratoga Springs joined with members of the Baptist Church to rescue the Universal Preservation Hall from collapse.
Lacey Thaler Reilly Wilson Architecture & Preservation recently completed the exterior restoration and interior renovation of the building and the design of an addition. UPH was awarded grants from the NYS Office of Parks, Recreation, and Historic Preservation and the New York Landmarks Conservancy Sacred Sites Program. We also assisted in securing a Technical Assistance Grant from the Preservation League of New York State for preparation of an accessibility study which was completed in 2014 and a 2015 grant from the Empire State Development Corporation. Additional work included a code analysis and programming for the upcoming interior renovations, as well as assistance with securing state and federal Historic Tax Credits.
Now completed, this former Methodist church is a premiere professional performance venue.